Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bone Dry




Well, not bone dry, but pretty close.  I was hoping for some rushing waterfalls after the recent rains, but no such luck.  It takes many rainstorms to make the waterfalls flow. Especially the ones under Sandstone Peak along the Grotto Trail.

Even when it's dry, this is a great area for hiking, and on a weekday in January, nobody else is there.  The rocks look like something out of a western movie set.






























At the bottom of the trail is a very rocky area which is great to climb through when the water is running.  Since the water was low I didn't bother, but stopped at this shady area to turn around.






































The whole area is part of Circle X Ranch, which at one point was I suppose a ranch.  I also heard it was a Boy Scout Camp, and later on a drive-to campground.  It is now a hike-in only spot and very natural.  The visitor center features what I assume is one of the old original buildings.































Next time I want to hike up to Sandstone Peak, where I guess you can see into the Valley and the ocean.