Friday, June 15, 2012

Slick



   If If there were comments here, we could play "name where this seal is located," but since I don't have that turned on, I'll have to tell you the story of Slick.


Slick is a seal situated at the foot of the Seal Beach Pier.  I used to live in Seal Beach, and the lore I heard was that if you passed by Slick, you were required to rub his nose for good luck.  As you can see, his nose is discolored due to all the rubbing!  (I took this photo of Slick yesterday!)


Now I am quite certain that the plaque underneath Slick used to say "Slick," but it now says "Seal."  Which I find funny because it is quite obvious that it's a seal, but I guess it was unclear.


It's probably a good idea to get some luck before heading down the pier, as it's the longest wooden pier in California.  And it feels like the longest wooden pier when you walk down to the end.  But that's not why you need good luck, unless you are REALLY out of shape.  You need good luck because it's prone to catching fire.  I think in the three years I lived in that town, the pier caught on fire three times; one of those times I was surfing to the north of it when the smoke started!


Anyway, if you're ever in Seal Beach, be sure to rub Slick's nose.


Here is a video I came across of really large waves crashing into the Seal Beach Pier; hopefully not too frightening for poor Slick!

Seal Beach Waves