Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Schwinn Speedster Search



The Schwinn Speedster is my favorite old bicycle.

I like these bikes because they are inexpensive, are comfortable to ride, have three gears, and have a little bit of style.   Unlike other Schwinns, they have chrome fenders.  Like any Schwinn from this time period (basically before 1982), they were made in Chicago.

Schwinn Speedsters are constantly for sale on craigslist, but they are never the exact kind I'm looking for, which is:

 - 26"
 - blue
 - 3 gears that work
 - the original two-tone "S" seat
 - still has the chrome fenders
 - has not been repainted
 - the bike works as is




















This one, for example, would be perfect.  Except it is green, and it is not a 26" frame.





















This one has the right color, and the right seat, but no gears, no fenders, and it is also not 26."  





















This one is 26", but is green, has no gears, and is missing the original seat.

Each day, I search craigslit, but I have yet to find the exact bike for me.  Many times I have been tempted to buy one that is red, or doesn't have the original seat...but I am holding out for the perfect Schwinn Speedster!