Monday, June 10, 2013

Unforeseen Peet's Perk


























You may remember that I had a Peet's dilemma: how to transition from using throw-away cups to a reusable ceramic cup.

Unfortunately, the very nice and speedy lady who instantly pours a small coffee (in a cup) the moment I walk in is still doing that.  She seems able to memorize that I want a small coffee, but not able to memorize that I now get it in a reusable cup.  This has happened so many times now, I've basically resigned myself to whatever happens.  Sometimes I get the cup, sometimes she notices afterward, sometimes a co-worker does.

But I began noticing another thing.  I was being charged $1.70 for my coffee.  (Instead of $1.80.)

Now I've watched the price of my Peet's coffee go from $1.25, to $1.35, to $1.40.  (It was $1.40 for a very long time.)  Then $1.50.  Then a few more steps up.  Finally, $1.80.

But it was now going down?  Great!

Or were they just making a mistake?  Kind of an odd mistake to make.

Finally it dawned on me that I was probably getting a discount for not wasting cups.

So now I'll be saving something like 30 bucks a year.