Monday, May 6, 2013

Took the Mug Leap







































I have a pretty strong coffee addiction, and basically never miss a day.  My go-to is Peet's, which has the most powerful coffee of the major chains (and the most tasty.)





























This is the one I go to (back when it had a Koo Koo Roo next to it.  It's now the vastly superior Brooklyn Bagel.)

I visit this Peet's often enough that they begin making my order as I walk through the door: small coffee, black, no room, to go.

Feeling very somewhat guilty about wasting all those paper cups and plastic lids, I always promise myself I will begin bringing in a thermos or ceramic mug to use.  But the problem is that since they always make the coffee before I get to the counter, it will already be in the paper cup.  So there would be this inevitable awkward moment where I have to explain that I'm now a "mug guy," and they will toss aside the unneeded paper cup.

Plus I wonder if they don't like us mug guys.  Or do they like us more?

Anyway last week I decided it was time.  I prepared my mug:







































Of course the other issue is going into Peet's with a Starbucks mug, but I really like this mug!  Plus they obviously know I always go to Peet's so it shouldn't be an issue.  I did expect a few sarcastic remarks though.

I set off for....



















Approaching the counter, I was worried they'd already have the coffee made.  One barista (did I just use the word "barista" ???)  in particular is VERY fast and will have my drink ready before the cashier even knows it.  I was hoping she wasn't there; luckily she was facing the other direction, so I had my chance.

I walked to the counter, holding the mug clearly in front of me.  I proactively apologized for the Starbucks aspect, thus preventing any comments in that regard.

Now the next question was: how do they know how much a "small" is for my mug? Would I get less, or more?

Well, I had done some research by pouring a "small" into my mug on a previous day.  It came up to halfway, maybe 2/3 full.

When my Starbucks mug was handed back to me on my inaugural mug guy day, though, it was full all the way to the top.







































I had inadvertently stumbled on a secret; a terrible secret actually, as now I risked overdosing on this stuff.

(Note - I've gone to Peet's for about a week since my new mug adventure, and every time, it gets filled to the top when I ask for a small.)

So.....if you're a "paper cup person"....and I know that's almost everyone based on what I see being purchased..... don't be afraid to make the switch.  Just imagine 365 cups in a huge pile: every single one used once, by you, then tossed aside.   In fact over the last 20 years, I guess I've used 6000 cups, give or take a couple thousand.