Monday, September 3, 2012

Backbone Trail







































Now that I have the daytime free, I can check something off my to-do list, which is to hike the entire Backbone Trail.

It's kind of like the AT, except wayyyyy easier, and you can go home at night.

If you aren't aware, the Backbone Trail stretches continuously from Pacific Palisades all the way to Ventura.  Well almost - it reaches Point Mugu State Park.  It is 67 miles long. I will be hiking end to end this Thursday!  Just kidding, I will do a little bit each day.

The Backbone Trail was a dream of local hikers for many years.  The original goal was to have an uninterrupted trail from Griffith Park, but too much of that land was private property that could not be wrested from the owners.  The same problem existed in Malibu, however through many years of purchases and negotiations, they finally got the entire trail finished.   Work began officially in 1980, and it was only finished quite recently, so it has been a long time in the works.

If you feel like going hiking for part of it, and are free on weekday mornings, let me know!

By the way, those of you who hiked to Eagle Rock a weekend ago did part of the trail.  The Eagle Rock (which must be visited by every local hiker in my opinion) is along the route.  Scroll down to see a picture of the Eagle Rock.

Here's the starting point!